Want to work for a dynamic company that feels like a startup yet offers the perks of companies several times its size? With its global market leadership and rapid international growth, Octo Telematics may be the place for you!
Octo recognizes that our employees are our most valuable asset. We take care of you with the best medical and dental coverage, ample paid time off, 401(k) match, and professional education so that you can perform at your best and grow your skills.
Octo Telematics has more than five million connected cars globally and is the insurance telematics market leader in not only the US and Canada, but also Italy and the UK. We offer a full suite of insurance telematics solutions, as well as analytics and consulting services, for both commercial and personal insurance lines.
The Senior Software Engineer will work in a growing multi-disciplinary engineering team solving diverse problems in the Insurance Telematics industry. In this role, the ideal candidate will get to work on many different challenging projects and have a wide array of responsibilities. He/she will be responsible for the full lifecycle of software development, including prototyping, requirements development, design, implementation, unit testing, systems testing, and deployment while reporting to the VP of IT.
We are looking for a self-motivated individual to excel at his or her work, someone who can rapidly pick up new required skills and be proactive when it comes to project execution.
- Communicate architecture designs with internal (software and multi-disciplinary project team) and external (other Octo stakeholders, partners, vendors, etc.) parties involved in our projects.
- Define product requirements and create high-level architectural specifications, ensuring feasibility, functionality, and integration with existing systems/platforms.
- Demonstrate expertise in a variety of the field’s concepts, practices, patterns, and procedures.
- Rely on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Develop software and follows our SDLC (Software Development Lifecycle) which includes:
- Agile sprint tasking and management using Jira
- Configuration management using Git
- Writing unit and UI tests that run on a CI (continuous integration) server for each feature and regression
- Publishing software pull requests and performing code reviews using Git
- Creating a schedule
- Working to a schedule
- Delivering on time.
- Ensure that a healthy, safe, secure and environmentally conscious work environment is maintained always and by all staff, in compliance with corporate policies and federal and state regulations.
- Relevant engineering degree(s) with a solid understanding of computer science
- 15+ years of experience fielding software systems as a software developer and at least 5+ years of experience designing software systems
- Knowledge of the SOA and integration patterns
- Proven experience in at least one ESB
- Full stack design and development for:
- Devices (Sensors)
- Gateways (Connected and Smart Things)
- IoT Cloud Platforms (Softlayer preferred)
- Cross Stack Functionality (Security, Ontologies, Development Tools and SDKS)
The following personal traits or abilities are critical for success:
- A mentor for the software development team as well as a consensus builder
- Able and drive to deliver on time, while working in a semi-autonomous environment
- Able to create and communicate an accurate schedule
- Willing to learn to work with the tools and solutions selected by the team
- Insatiable curiosity to understand and improve the state of art
- Creative and can think on your feet
- Able to work effectively and build relationships with all levels of personnel
- Exceptional communication skills, with an ability to present and discuss technical information in a way that establishes rapport, persuades others, and provides understanding of project related information to a diverse audience (engineers to executives)
Back to news overviewBack to events overviewBack to press releases overviewBack to blog overviewBack to careers overview