Learn about telematics-driven usage-based insurance
What is usage-based insurance?
Usage-based insurance (UBI) is a type of vehicle insurance that uses driving behavior to determine the cost of the policy. Early versions of UBI used driver-reported mileage as the primary variable on which premiums were determined. Modern UBI programs use rich telematics data to identify risky driving behavior and price policies accordingly.
What data is collected for UBI?
Telematics devices collect many driving behavior data points and the list grows daily. The number and variety of data points available to insurers to optimize pricing models expands as telematics devices evolve. Common data points include:
- Trip duration
- Road type
How is the data used?
The data collected is only useful if it can be translated into actionable insights an insurer can use to improve business outcomes. The collected vehicle data is analyzed to identify driving behaviors that indicate risk. A score can be assigned to signify to an insurer the relative risk of each driver. Octo is always working to translate new data into actionable information insurers can use to identify risky behavior. Common risky behaviors include:
- Night driving
- Frequent driving
- Frequent hard breaking
- Frequent hard acceleration
- Distracted driving
Telematics data can also be used to create value-added services for policyholders, engage with customers, and improve driver performance.
Benefits of UBI programs
- Driver behavior data helps insurers better price risk
- Lower premiums for safe drivers help insurers attract and retain more profitable customers
- Better drivers tend to opt-in to UBI policies, helping insurers improve their risk pool
- Increased pricing transparency can help improve customer loyalty
Implementing UBI and Telematics Programs
Read Implementing UBI and Telematics Programs, a new report from Octo North America CEO Nino Tarantino and learn to:
• Choose the best telematics partner, by equipping you with the critical questions you need to ask potential providers
• Launch a successful UBI program, by providing a framework for bringing telematics to your organization
• Reap the benefits of a new UBI program, with tactics you can use to improve program performance once it is up and running